EU Immigration Lawyers & EEA Immigration Solicitors

EU immigration to the United Kingdom after Brexit: what you need to know about EU Settlement Scheme deadlines

Main EU Settlement Scheme deadline on 30 June 2021

While the primary post-Brexit EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) deadline of 30 June 2021 approaches, there are other dates and concerns that individuals and their employers in the United Kingdom may be unaware of. In this post, we will discuss a number of topics that pertain to the primary deadline or may begin to have practical consequences after 30 June 2021.

Brexit has altered the conditions under which EU and EEA citizens can live and work in the UK. If you are a European Union or European Economic Area national, you will need to apply for UK immigration status in order to remain in the UK after 31 December 2020 (Main EU Settlement Scheme deadline on 30 June 2021). 

Our EEA immigration solicitors and EU immigration solicitors advise clients on all facets of UK immigration law. Tann Law Solicitors can assist you and your family in obtaining the appropriate status to enter or reside in the United Kingdom. 

If you are already a UK resident and wish to remain indefinitely beyond 31 December 2020, you will be required to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. If you want to visit the UK for a shorter period following Brexit, you will require an appropriate visa for your circumstances.

Our legal team consists of highly specialised immigration lawyers can assist you with EU Settlement Scheme applications. We can also help with visa applications if you intend to come to the UK after Brexit to study or start a business. Contact our immigration solicitors immediately to learn more about how we may assist you and your family.

What Is The European Union’s Settlement Procedure?

The Home Office established the EU Settlement Scheme to provide EU and EEA nationals with a path to lawful immigration in the UK following Brexit. 

Your immigration status will be classified as settled or ‘pre-settled under the system. If you’ve lived in the UK continuously for five years, you’ll be granted established status. If you have been in the UK for less than five years, you will be granted pre-settled status for five years. 

Only after five years of continuous residence in the United Kingdom, you can apply for settled status. You and your family will then be able to live and work freely in the UK if you have settled or pre-settled status. 

Additionally, you are free to leave and enter the United Kingdom as you wish. After 12 months of settled status (six years of continuous residence in the UK), you may apply for naturalisation and become a British citizen.

How About My Family members?

The family members of any EU or EEA national are considered to be a:

  • Civil partner or spouse
  • If you and/or your spouse or a civil partner have a child or grandchild under the age of 21 or any child who is financially dependent on you.
  • You or your spouse or civil partner’s parent or grandparent who is financially dependent on you.

If your family is already in the UK, they may apply for the Settlement Scheme concurrently with you. 

If your family remains in another country, they can still join you in the UK following Brexit.

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you must demonstrate the genuineness of your connection before your spouse or partner can join you. 

Unmarried partners of EU and EEA nationals may also enter the UK before 1 January 2021. Additionally, you’ll need to establish the legitimacy of your relationship. 

They will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once they arrive in the UK.

What If I Do Not Wish To Reside Permanently In The United Kingdom?

If you do not intend to settle in the UK permanently, you are not required to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. There are more visa alternatives available to you based on your circumstances. We can assist you in obtaining a visa to:

  • Invest in property or create a business
  • Attend a business trip or a conference
  • Temporary or long-term employment
  • Observation or investigation
  • Obtain private medical care
  • Make a brief visit.

We can advise you on the type of visa most appropriate for your needs and circumstances, whether it is a student visa, a work visa, or a business visitor visa.

Are You Able To Assist Businesses With EU Or EEA Immigration Issues?

Sure. We can assist citizens of the EU and EEA who are:

  • Managing a business in the United Kingdom.
  • Considering establishing a business in the United Kingdom.
  • Needing to travel to the United Kingdom on business.

Additionally, we may assist UK enterprises that employ EU or EEA nationals. 

Tann Law Solicitors are specialists in business immigration matters. Our solicitors can assist you in obtaining a Tier 2 visa, allowing you to continue employing EU or EEA people in the UK. If you require continuous business visits to the UK, Tann Law Solicitors can also obtain a Business Visitor’s visa. 

We are aware that Brexit is causing considerable fear among businesses in the United Kingdom. We can provide commercial counsel tailored to your specific business needs. Additionally, we can assist you with developing recruiting and human resource practices that will enable you to continue hiring the best personnel from outside the UK in the future.

If your employees want assistance with their visas, we may also assist them. Contact our team today to learn more about how we can help you.

How long does it take to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

As the transition period draws to a close, an increasing number of EU and EEA nationals are applying. The Home Office currently takes between one and two months to process an application, however, this time frame may expand as the deadline approaches. 

While your application is being processed, you should not be concerned with whether you will be able to remain in the UK. As an EU or EEA national, you have the right to remain in the UK during the duration of your application under EU free movement rules.

Tann Law Solicitors  process a large number of visa applications for EU citizens and their family members. We work swiftly and efficiently to complete your application. If the Home Office denies your application, we are also skilled in dealing with appeals to the Immigration Tribunal.

How Much Is It?

For our assistance with EU Settlement Scheme applications, we charge a flat fee depnding on the following factors:

  • Applicants for Pre-Settled Status.
  • Applicants for Settled Status.
  • Couples applying concurrently
  • For each child applying concurrently with their parents.

*Please note that the fees do not include VAT. *Additionally, there are “disbursements,” which are costs payments payable to a third party (such as visa application fees).

Why Should You Choose Us?

Tann Law Solicitors can assist you and your family in securing your EU and EEA immigration status and allowing you to live freely in the United Kingdom. Whether you live in the UK already or are considering relocating, we can advise you on the best course of action.

It might be intimidating to put together an application on your own – even more so when the conclusion can have a lasting impact on your life. Our solicitors can assist you in assembling your application step by step. 

Additionally, we’ll answer any questions you have in plain English, so you’ll always understand what’s happening. If your visa application is denied, we can additionally investigate and appeal the decision on your behalf. 

Immigration concerns can be rather personal, involving family, employment, and wealth spread over foreign jurisdictions. 

As a full-service law firm, we have specialists on staff who can advise you on any legal issues you may have. 

You won’t need to seek counsel from many legal firms; instead, our experts will work with you to develop a long-term strategy that will ensure your continued presence in the UK. 

For a confidential discussion regarding your case, call us immediately or send us an email and we will call you back. Our legal team consists of highly specialised EU and EEA immigration lawyers who can assist you with EU Settlement Scheme applications.